Wednesday, October 19, 2011

spiraling towards Food Day!

List of things that magically occurred this week:

- talked to Darnella, she said the farmers will have change. Also emailed her flyers!
- received some excellent nutritional cards for each individual veggie from Brittany, a nutrition intern at Campus Dining. She also is providing some recipes, sweet potato pie and spinach dip. Just need to print these!
- sent follow-up email to Joseph
- asked Donna about getting more plates/bowls (compostable).
- emailed invitation to President Crain's assistant, Dr. Bourg's assistant, and Dr. Fontenot's assistant.

Reconnect meeting was short and sweet. Sole and Tim were there too! I talked about the photo petition idea, getting nutritional info, the idea of accepting donations for Baby Jaidynn (Sigma Gamma Rho), the brochures Sole made, and about watching food, Sole reminded everyone to wear green shirts, etc. I passed out a sheet so everyone could sign their names when they're available to help. A few students who couldn't make the meeting also let me know times they were available too. A few of us will be available after 2 to watch food too, although hopefully no one will make us watch food til 5.. but I'll be available til 5.

I asked them what tasks they would be interested in helping with, but mostly everyone seemed fine with everything. I think we can kind of just play it by ear at Food Day and see what people are interested in, or swapping tables, etc. We will have people available to take pictures for the visual petition too. Dr. Burley, can you get a small dry erase board?

A few ideas students had:
- have a list of ways students can help - but a lot of those are in Sole's brochure.
- what about pricing? Will the farmers have all that taken care of already? I can call and ask.
- Monica had a good idea, that we should treat the farmers to lunch.. maybe we could use some of the fundraiser money. What do you all think?

We also talked about where to store food. Jim McHodgkins said we can't have the area near career counseling but that we could have part of the student union (where the ceiling is about 8 ft high) to ourselves. I wasn't exactly sure what he meant when he said they could close that part off to us. But he said we don't have to fill out any paperwork for that, just talk to Johnathan Ambrose the day of (need to talk to him to get extension cords that day too).

I like the bean survey! I think the first two questions are the most relevant.

As for my role, I plan to be there the whole time for sure (of course). I'm not sure what I want to do most. Definitely interact with the farmers a lot, and I wouldn't mind helping with the bean survey, or taking pictures. I wouldn't mind switching back and forth between things, or just answering questions for students too. I want to get a general feel for everything going on that day.

Sweet! 6 more days! This is going to rock! (in all honesty, I am terrified something will go wrong or that I forgot something, but we seem to have things under control...I'll make sure to get lots of sleep the day before.)

-- Bonnie

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP