Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Food Day - so funderful!

Yesterday was so AMAZING! I think if we could get a grade on yesterday, it'd be an A+ ..I knew it would be fantastic (although I was also terrified everything would go wrong) but experiencing it is different.

I uploaded the photos Dr. Burley took from the camera to the Reconnect facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.210347559037454&type=1

Check it out!  And we're also expecting some snazzy photos from my friend Brennan with his snazzy camera.

I counted 36 visual petitions. I didn't expect we'd get so many, so that's awesome. This was a great way to put faces to some of the signatures we got and display some of the many different reasons for getting more real food!

So the farmers said they made enough money to keep doing this again at our school.. Darnella emailed me too to thank us for having them too and also hopes we get to do it again. I definitely think we should schedule a meeting with the farmers some time and talk about making this a monthly thing.

Speaking of that, Tim and I went to talk to three Environmental management students (Atsuko, Chris, Rebecca) about having them do their final project on something to help us with the Real Food Challenge. That went pretty well. They were already thinking of putting a business plan together to organize a farmer's market, but we had already done that. Dr. Moreou told them that he didn't think an on-campus farmers market would be successful and that an off-campus one might be better, but that was before he found out how well we did. Tim and I said that we would give them all of our data from Food day (survey results, pictures, etc.) and tell them what we discussed in the next class about the strengths/weaknesses, so that they could work on putting together a floor plan/business plan for future farmers markets!
How does that sound to you all? I really wanted them to help us with the Real Food Challenge calculator, but that's really a full-time job, and it's so late in the semester.

Also, I forgot to email the organizations that Danaty sent me - eep! Sorry about that! I shall email them tonight, with a brief blurb of how successful Food Day was.

I'm sure there's probably going to be more that I failed to mention.. we can talk in class! It was so exciting to see so many students who were so receptive to this.

I want to thank you ALL for being such a huge help in this project! We were really successful, and it wouldn't have been nearly this good without all of your help, time, commitment, and great ideas. I feel like we really learned a lot in this class.

Thank you so much!!

-- Bonnie


0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP