Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Food Day Good Day

Events leading up to food day included getting the E-Mail to Renee Abadie and procuring bags from the Winn Dixie.
After arriving and setting up I was concerned that we wouldn't attract much attention but those feelings would be short lived. It started slow but soon the buzz was out. I was very excited to see the people enjoying their fresh vegatables cooked while they waited.
My greatest source of enjoyment came through speaking with Ben who seemed to be the patriarch of the group. I think what attracted me to him was his cool and confident demeanor. A new place, new people, not knowing what to expect and Ben was thriving. It wasn't untill his daughter allerted him that it was time for his conference call that I realized just how saavy this farmer from Petal Mississippi really was. When Ben stepped away I carried on the conversation with his daughter. I asked if she had heard of the Blair Grocery and I tried to explain what I was talking about. She rattled off about six or seven schools in New Orleans and when I asked her if they provided produce to them she informed me that they had in fact created urban gardens and educational components to accompany them. I had a very eye opening experience Thank You

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP