Wednesday, November 9, 2011

WHEEEEE!

The farmers have been super busy with the fall harvest, and some of them were in Oakland, California too (whoo!) but I got in contact with Ben and Darnella and they got my messages about having a meeting soon. Darnella has been asking all the other farmers to find a good date, and she says she'll have a final answer pretty soon. It will definitely be before the 22nd. I think she said potentially the 17th, but she's still asking.

I also finally sent out a letter to all the presidents of student organizations. I got one response so far! I wrote her up a letter to sign.

Tim counted a bunch of the signatures (below).. in addition to those, Danaty emailed me with the ones she counted.. almost 200! Also, we found another pile of signatures that Tim didn't see in the office, so we'll have more than that!
Did anyone else besides me, Danaty, and Tim have signatures? Let me know! I think we'll be close to a thousand.. and so many people who considered volunteering!

Tim also posted the survey results, and Benny double-checked them! Only a difference of about 1, so not a big deal. Tomorrow I'll be working on editing my letter to the president to work in all of these wonderful findings!

Monica, Cecelia, and I also submitted an application for the Real Food Challenge grassroots leadership program.. fingers crossed!

I also got a call from my friend Matt yesterday, who is also Real Food Challenge's Southeast coordinator. He checked up on what we were doing, and asked if we needed him to come down and help with anything. I told him it might be good for him to come by sometime within the next two weeks, either to attend our meeting with the farmers, or to help me work on the letter to send to the president along with the Campus Commitment
He also said that the next national RFC training is going to be in California.. sometime in February, I forgot the exact date. He's going to nominate our school (aww!) to get funding for about 2-5 of us to go. I said we could definitely have that many Reconnect members go, if they're available. But if any of ya'll in the class are interested too, please let me know.

Dude!  We have a sustainability manager now! Russell Evans, at the Physical Plant. He wants to meet with Reconnect sometime to talk about what we're doing. This is so exciting! I didn't think SELU would ever get a sustainability manager/director.

All of this is really, really exciting. You all have done a lot of great work for Reconnect and the Real Food Challenge. Because of all the education, and because of Food Day being such a success for students AND Aramark AND the farmers, I think things are going to run a lot more smoothly now.. we'll see soon!

-- Bonnie

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP