Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Food Day, the aftermath

I sent an email out to all of you to start collecting data for the business students. Dr. Burley said I should copy it here in the blog too. Thank you Tim and Sole for getting stuff to me!

"Hey all! I talked to Atsuko, one of the Environmental management students in the class helping us, and asked her what all we needed to give them to help them develop a business plan for future farmers market. I suggested a few things and she added a few things. What do you all think?


List of things needed for Business plan:
-       How we advertised
-       Table Layout
-       Materials used
-       How we found/recruited the farmers
-       Any documents we have regarding the initial organization of the market (?)


Not sure what we would need for the last one... for how we recruited the farmers, that was through Dr. Burley, so that should be easy to answer. Does anyone else have any other ideas of what we should need? I know Sole said she can make a list of how we advertised, since she handled a lot of that.

I know there were various materials we used as well... tape, poster boards, dry erase board and camera, utensils, plates, advertisement materials, plastic bags and tote bags, extension cords, tables, chairs, etc. Anything else?

Table layout, we can probably draw out or write out, and put before and after for when the survey was moved. Maybe Tim and anyone else dealing with the survey could mention to them which arrangement for the survey seemed to have better results.

Alright, have a great week!"


I sent the survey data Tim posted as well as the suggestions from the health class. I also forwarded the business students the webinar because it would probably be helpful to their project. I'll send them what Sole posted too. A lot of the things they want we don't have written documents for, so I told them I'll write or verbally tell them how we organized farmers, etc.

Can anyone double-check Tim's count for the survey.. and can someone volunteer to draw or write out the table layout of Food Day (before and after table changes)?

Got the addresses/building and room numbers for Jim McHodgkins and Jonathan Ambrose for Erica. I emailed Darnella for farmer addresses and she supplied some of them, which I sent to Erica, and she said she'll get back to me with the last two.

I also sent an email thanking Brittany and Joseph for helping/stopping by. Joseph replied back and said he enjoyed Food Day and thought it was very successful, and that he looks forward to it again. I will email him back soon to let him know that when/if we plan another meeting with the farmers, we'll invite him. I wanted to ask Reconnect members if they agreed with this, but only Monica showed up to the meeting. ): She thought it was a good idea. It would give Joseph a chance to talk to the farmers face to face again, and Brittany is a student who is supportive for the RFC but also works on campus dining too. Monica thinks we should definitely try to schedule a meeting before Thanksgiving if possible.

One thing I keep forgetting is to write up the letter for the organizations. I'm sorry! I'll try to have this by tomorrow, and send to Dr. Burley first for him to proof-read before sending.

As for photos, I have some favorites.. should we email them?

I keep looking at the school paper and such to look for signs of people talking about Food Day or mentioning food...  I want mooooar! Looking at all the photo petitions makes me smile too. I hope we can do that again.

Thank you all again sooo much for making this so successful! Monica commented that we were all so organized that she didn't feel like there was anything left to do to help.. oops! Spring semester will be a lot more hectic without you all helping, but hopefully we can get some kind of student internship going.

-- Bonnie

0 comments:

  © Blogger template 'Solitude' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP